A CT scan generates a detailed view of the anatomy or structures of organs and tissues in the body.
What is a CT scan?
Frequently Asked Questions
How should I prepare for my scan?
- Do not eat or drink anything besides water for 2 hours prior to scan.
- Wear warm, comfy clothes that are free of metal.
- Leave jewelry and medications at home.
- Continue medications as prescribed.
- If on oxygen, bring own supply.
What will happen during my scan?
- You will be given a drink called “Barium”.
- 2 hours before the scan, you will drink half of the bottle; 1 hour before the scan you will drink the other half.
- You will lay on a table that moves through a ring-like scanner
- The scan will take between 15-30 minutes.
What happens after my scan?
- Drink lots of fluids to help flush-out any contrast left in your system.
- The radiologist will read your scan and send your physician the results within 24 hours.